Používáním těchto stránek souhlasíte s ukládáním souborů cookies na vašem zařízení.
Fish pond Svět - fish pond Opatovický - Opatovický mill - Forester´s lodge Barbora - Majdalena - Kosky - fish pond Nový Kanclíř - fish pond Starý Kanclíř - Lutová - U Řepů - Stříbřec - Stříbřecký bridge - fish ponds Nový a Starý Vdovec - Stará Hlína - Nová Hlína - Třeboň
The trail "Around Třeboň" has been designed and managed by Administration of the Třeboňsko Protected Landscape Area (PLA) with the assistance of the Czech tourist association. The trail that was opened in 1989 forms circle in woodlands and fish ponds east of Třeboň.
Perhaps the most typical landscape element of Třeboň region are fish ponds - there are more than 500 fish ponds within the PLA, with total area of approximately 70 square kilometres. The first fish ponds were established already in the 14th century, but the major boom in fish pond construction occurred at the end of the 15th and during the 16th centuries under the famous builders Štěpánek Netolický, Mikuláš Ruthard of Malešov and Jakub Krčín of Jelčany.
The nature trail crosses at several places the canal Zlatá stoka. The primary and main function of this unique and sophisticated medieval water management work has been to interconnect number of ponds and the river Lužnice. Beside this, the canal has also served for other purposes - to drive mills and sawmills, to transport wood from remote forests to Třeboň and during dry periods also for irrigation.
Peat bogs are important part of the Třeboň Region. Peat bogs also form "archives" - they are a valuable source of information about the past of landscape. The layers of peat contain plant and animal remnants and serve as witness about the fate of these organisms and therefore also about the evolution of climate and soil since the last ice age.
The owls demonstrate clearly the natural richness and diversity of the Třeboň region. Out of ten species of owls that live in the Czech Republic eight are known to nest here. As predators, owls stay at the top of the food chain and have important role in maintaining the natural equilibrium.
Small church was erected here in the 16th century on the place of former hermitage. The church was abandoned after the reforms of emperor Josef II in 1786. The whole forest district got its name after the former church. Today only the forester´s lodge remains.
Long time ago the woods covered almost completely the whole Třeboň basin. Even today the forest coverage is relatively high. During the century-long forest management the character of the woods has changed significantly and that is why today we find only rarely forest stands that can be considered original or at least closely related to the original woods.
Here we are in the centre of a huge forest complex, called Zámecké polesí ("The chateau forest district"). Here one can find forest communities caracteristic for areas with clay or sand-clay sediments (modelled here by water activity into complex system of sills and levels). Typical for these oak-groves is high proportion of fir, the tree layer also includes interspersed spruce and pine with sessile oak.
The whole Třeboň region is interwoven by dense system of rivers, streams and artificial canals and ditches. The natural axis is formed by the Lužnice river that originates in the Austrian part of the Novohradské mountains. Important affluences are coming from the right side of the river - in particular it is the river Dračice, resembling mountain torrent. Not far from this stop is Lužnice joined by the Koštěnický stream. The biggest tributary is Nežárka that enters Lužnice in the town of Veselí nad Lužnicí. The natural water network of the Třeboň Region is complemented by the whole complex of artificial canals and ditches - the most famous are Zlatá stoka (The Golden Canal) and Nová řeka (The New River).
The communities of aquatic and boggy plants that in the Třeboň region originally inhabited wetlands and edges of natural lakes or river ox-bows have gradually moved to shores of man-made fishponds where they found suitable living conditions. Number of plants can be found within the inner littoral zone of fish ponds - both small, inconspicuous ones and also much bigger and fancier herbs.
The tradition of fish pond construction and management in the Třeboň region reaches back for many centuries and has made this area famous up to the present. The traditional fish species grown in the fish ponds in carp that forms more than 90% of local production.
Lutová is one of the oldest villages in the Třeboň region. Already in the 14th century it hat been site of the stronghold of Lords of Landštejn, later it became the property of Rožmberks and after 1577 it became part of the Chlum estate. The church of All Saints forms dominant of the village. Originally Gothic, the church was later rebuilt under renaissance style. The village has formed religious, cultural and power centre of the 20th century. Throughout the time it was protected against the influence of germanization and its historical development is typical for purely Czech village. In 1986 a draft proposal was formed for incorporation of the village among the List of Village historical sites.
If you are lucky, you can spot here White-tailed Eagle - a rare bird of prey that is typical for the Třeboň Region. It is one of the European endangered species. In the past it used to nest throughout the whole Europe, in present its numbers have, especially in the south of Europe, highly decreased or it has been completely eradicated. In the Czech Republic and in other European states are White-tailed Eagle strictly protected.
In the geological composition and structure of individual formations of the Třeboň region are preserved all evolutionary stages of its geological history. The parent rock of the basin and its edges are formed by crystalline rock, represented by transformed rocks that in particular at the eastern part of the PLA region rise to the surfase. Approximately two thirds of the PLA area are formed by sedimentary rocks. The quaternary sediments are represented by terraces of alluvial sands along the river Lužnice. Of quaternary origin are also huge transient peat bogs and much smaller areas of drift sand.
The landscape of the Třeboň region has never been very attractive for agriculture. The region was dominated by complexes of forests and fish ponds. These conditions and relatively low density of population that even today does not exceed 40 inhabitants per square kilometre gave rise to at least by European standards, quite diverse landscape with mosaic of different natural or semi-natural biotopes with number of small size landscape elements. The countryside is interwoven by natural segments of rivers and streams.
The route has just passed a man-made watercourse. It is called Nová řeka (the New River), it turns right from the river Lužnice near the village Majdalena and after approximately 13 kilometres it enters the river Nežárka near Chateau Jemčina. It was built in the 1584-1585 by the regent of the Rožmberk estate, Jakub Krčín of Jelčany, the famous constructor of South-Bohemian fish ponds. The construction of the New River has been started at the same time as the construction of the fish pond Rožmberk and its aim was to protect this fishpond against floodwaters of the river Lužnice that could damage the dam of the fish pond. The New River can divert most of the floodwaters into the river Nežárka.
On the surface of the fish pond Vyšehrad number of water birds can be seen, in particular ducks during the spring and autumn seasons. This pond is also interesting due to quite high numbers of the protected plant, the Yellow Beaver Lily. Characteristic for the Třeboň Region are also silhouettes of huge oaks along the dams of fish ponds, along the roads and also in the open countryside.
Close to the road flows the river Lužnice that is called Stará Řeka (the Old River) in the section between the sluice of the New River and its entry into the Rožmberk pond. The part of the river that can be seen here has been embanked, but approximately 1 kilometre upstream starts the National nature reserve Stará řeka. It covers huge forest complex from the sluice of the New River down to the village of Stará Hlína. The reserve has been declared in 1956 and it is one of the largest in the Czech Republic. The reserve is today a protected sanctuary for River Otters, in the past it used to be home of European Beaver.
The fish pond Vítek has been formed in 1879-1880 by separation from the fish pond Rožmberk. This large pond forms a dam on the river Lužnice. It was built in 1584-1589 by Jakub Krčín. At the beginning of the 17th century its water area used to be about two times larger than today and reached up to town of Třeboň. Its huge size caused number of problems and therefore the size of the pond has been gradually decreased down to today´s almost 5 square kilometres.
At present, the woodlands form approximately half of the area of the PLA. Typical for the area is the so called Třeboň pine - local ecotype of common Scots pine that due to gradual evolution in the specific conditions of the Třeboň region gained qualities that made it highly valuable from the forestry point of view (high and straight trunk, small crown, high quality wood).
According to the legend, when the fish pond Rožmberk was built, the old hermitage of hermit Vít Konrád was flooded. The Lord Vilém of Rožmberk assigned this spot for the new hermitage that used to stay here till 1757. Wooden chapel stood nearby and it was replaced in 1761 by the present chapel of St. Vitus. The chapel is decorated by paintings of Třeboň painter František Jakub Prokyš.
Town Třeboň is the centre of the Třeboňsko Protected Landscape Area and of the Biosphere Reserve. The town´s historical centre has been declared in 1976 a Historical monument. The history of the town goes back to the 12th century, when small settlement was formed along the trade trail passing through the border woods.
Detailed information you can get on the information boards placed at each stop of the instructional trail.
The square surrounded by burgher houses with Renaissance and Baroque facades is the natural centre of the whole urban conservation area.
Do you want to cruise around the World in 50 minutes? Now you have an excellent opportunity.
The Tomb of the House of Schwarzenberg is one of the most architecturally remarkable sights to be visited in South Bohemia.
The unique technical water work – Golden Canal – was designed and built in the years 1506–1518 by Štěpánek Netolický and is an ...
A river with the soul of a beautiful lady.
Bridges into a fairytale.
In the arms of a water-fairy.
The old wooden haylofts on the marshy Wet Meadows near Třeboň are a unique phenomenon of the Czech landscape.
Behind the Hradecká Gate you can visit the exhibition of trackages with working train models, buildings and little figures.
An author´s replica of Kotěra´s water tower at Zelená liška in Prague was built in Třeboň in 1909. Water was originally pumped to the ...
Behind the Hradecká Gate the Water Lady resists the stream of the Golden Canal – a ceramics sculpture by two students of ČVUT, Tereza ...