An author´s replica of Kotěra´s water tower at Zelená liška in Prague was built in Třeboň in 1909. Water was originally pumped to the tower from a 10m deep well by a petrol pump. After the 2nd World War the tower was decommissioned. At present it is a Buddhist art gallery.
The water tower in Třeboň Na Kopečku is a very valuable industrial monument built in 1909 in the Geometric-Modernism style after the design of the prominent Czech architect prof. Jan Kotěra. Originally, the tower pumped water from a 10-metre deep well with a petrol pump. It served the town with drinking water until 1966. The volume of the water reservoir in the upper part of the tower is 300 m³. At present it is registered as an architectural cultural monument. Since 2012 the renovated building has housed a Buddhist art gallery with a permanent exhibition of arts from Mongolia, Tibet and China. The 32-metre high landmark offers a good view of the countryside. You can enter “The Garden of Mercy“, a meditation park with the statues of the Bodhisattva Kuan-Jin, Goddess of Healing and Mercy and the memorial to the WWII casualties. The gallery and meditation garden were built as a part of the Asian Cultural Centre in Třeboň, which organizes various cultural, educational, scientific and social events.
In 1366, the house of Rosenbergs became the owner of the Třeboň dominion. In 1602, Petr Vok of Rosenberg chose Třeboň for his ...